It is little known that the yellow spice ‘Turmeric’ is an effective remedy for weight loss and it has been used by the ancient Indians in order to cure several diseases naturally. Turmeric plays a vital role in detoxifying the liver, thereby enabling it to do its task of burning fat. The liver is the most essential part that does the job of fat burning, which is critical to weight loss. If it is damaged, the detoxification process takes a dive and you gain weight.
Curcumin, the active compound found in turmeric, plays an important role in fastening the capsaicin receptors as well as increasing the thermogenesis rates, both are necessary to burn fat. For this reason, a high quality turmeric curcumin supplement can actually assist in weight loss, and provide many additional health benefits.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric can be vastly used by the people in India, Srilanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, China, Morocco and many other Asian countries. Mostly, people knew it as a spice that is used in the dishes to bring flavor and color. But, there are a variety of health benefits of using the ancient herb in your diet routine and below are a few.
- The ‘curcumin’ in turmeric reduces the LDL or bad cholesterol.
- Thanks to its anti-inflammatory nature, it helps in treating conditions like Arthritis and severe joint pains. Surprisingly, there are no side effects associated with this spice unlike the Anti-inflammatory drugs prescribed by doctors.
- You can speed up the healing process of any injury simply by using the Turmeric powder, all thanks to its antiseptic and antimicrobial properties.
- It is the perfect gift of the nature to the humans. You can improve your immunity system by including Turmeric in your diet.
- It is also found that Turmeric helps fight against few types of cancer like melanoma and breast cancer.
- The Chinese have been using the turmeric as a natural anti-depressant drug for many years now.
- Because of our improper or poor eating habits, our liver stores a lot of toxins. You can easily remove them by using this natural yellow spice.
- According a study, it is found that the Turmeric contains some chemicals that protect the humans against the Alzheimer’s disease.
What is the Daily Recommended Dosage of Turmeric?
Although, the spice Turmeric is very healthy and natural, you’ll need to be careful not to take the consumption to extreme levels. The daily recommended consumption of fresh root should be limited to 1.5 to 3g per day, while the powdered Turmeric root should be limited to 1 to 3 grams per day. If you prefer to take Turmeric supplements, then don’t exceed 2500 mg per day dosage of turmeric (source: University of Maryland Medical Center).
P.S: I personally do suggest the supplements as they are not as messy as using the turmeric powder! Try to get a high potency organic turmeric supplement if possible.
Who Should Not Use Turmeric?
The spice ‘Turmeric’ is a natural and safe to consume as a food, but there are few cases where it is not allowed to consume. Excess usage of Turmeric may cause nausea, indigestion, diarrhea or dizziness.
- The consumption of turmeric should be stopped 2 weeks prior to any surgical procedure. This is because the turmeric when combined with medications or supplements brings down (slows) the blood clotting.
- People with diabetes, gallbladder problems, pregnant and breastfeeding women are suggested to stay away from taking Turmeric as you like. It is advised to consult your doctor to suggest the right dosage for your specific condition.
How Does Turmeric Help in Weight Loss?
Generally, people tend to gain weight by two ways – excess growth of fat cells (size) and excess multiplication of fat cells (number). If you can encounter these two issues successfully, you’ll be able to lose weight naturally. Most people think of the Turmeric as a dietary supplement and an ingredient to bring color and flavor to foods. But, it is rich in ‘Curcumin’, which helps in reducing the blood flow to the fat cells (adipocytes), thereby inhibiting the cell division. So, when the fresh blood stops sending any nutrients, the fat cells stop growing in number.
Turmeric also helps in regulating sugar levels and thereby preventing sudden insulin hikes, thereby avoiding any excess fat storage by your body. You can also improve your digestion and boost the metabolism by including a quality, high potency turmeric supplement in your diet. Do note that improper digestion and poor metabolism make a person to put on weight.